Book Drive Delivery Creates Jumps of Joy

Back to Article
Back to Article

When JA student volunteers delivered truck loads of books to Spann Elementary last week, there were hugs, hops, and an immediate search for favorite books. Elementary students who are mentored by JA students through the Barbara Bush Foundation Teen Trendsetters program were eager to start reading.

Spann Elementary Teacher Vicki Latham described in a letter to JA how meaningful the receipt of the books was for students. “Literacy is and always has been a critical concern for our students and their families. We are constantly seeking new and ingenious ways to help increase the reading success of each child,” she wrote. “There is no doubt that your overwhelming contribution will do just that.”
JA students regularly mentor students at Spann who participate in the Barbara Bush Foundation program. “Please tell your fine students that we truly, truly are humbled by their exhaustive efforts to make a real difference in their world. We are honored to share this part of Jackson with each and every one of them,” Latham said.
During the 60th Anniversary Book Drive, JA students collected more than 3,500 books that were delivered to Spann Elementary and Big House Books, a non-profit that provides books to incarcerated adults in Mississippi. The book drive gave JA families and members of the community a way to share their love of reading while celebrating the school’s 1959 founding for the purpose of teaching reading by phonics.