JA Chronicle

A Tribute to Franny

A Tribute to Franny

As we all know, the school suffered an immense loss this past May, just a day before the seniors were set to graduate. Most os us know the story, but this is not what this article is about. We want this to be our way of honoring her memory and carrying on the legacy she left at this school. To those who did not know her, I hope this article gives you somewhat of an idea of why she was so cherished and loved by the people who knew her. We would like to start this article off by telling you all that the JA Chronicle will never be the same without our spunky red head pulling the strings behind the scenes. To most people, Frances Anne Fortner was known as “Franny”, but to is she was the Editor-in-Cheif you did not want to upset. You had better turn in your articles on time, or the redhead rage was coming. Her personality matched her hair, fierce and fiery, which was one of the things we loved most about her. She was never afraid to state her opinion and stand up for what she believed in. Mrs. Ingram, Franny’s confidant and art teacher for many years, shared a few words about Franny.

“Franny was my art student for three years. She excelled in Drawing and Painting, 2D Design, and AP Art. She came to my class as a talented sophomore, but she did not taker her artistic skills for granted. She worked very hard to improve her talents with every project. She was proud of her artwork, but, at the same time, she was never quite satisfied. I can only imagine how excited Franny would have been to learn that she made an excellent score of five on her AP Art portfolio! I can probably count on two hands the number of art students I’ve had to score fives. During my three years with Franny, I also saw many sides of her. There were times when she wanted to be isolated, so she could create. There were many times when she had to show her frustration at the situation at hand. There were also occasions when she even put the JA Chronicle above her artwork. And, I recall one day when she was so exhausted she just had to take a nap in my class. I’ve worked with many talented students during my fifteen  years of teaching AP Art at JA, and Franny was among the very best. Students in my class this year and in the years to come, will see Franny’s artwork and be witness to her remarkable artistic talents. She accomplished to much in her short eighteen years. Intellectually, I know that Franny is no longer with us … but, emotionally, my heart is having a difficult time with facing this reality. She was really very special and I will always treasure my three year that I spend with her. Miss you Franny!”

There are no words to describe how much we miss Franny and the feeling of pain that comes with that, but like Franny said, “For all the pain in the world, there is so much more beauty.” To all of us, Franny was that beauty in life. She showed us what t was really like to just be yourself and be happy, which is something so precious to see. Franny has inspired is all to be the person we truly are, and her extraordinary love for life has taught us to cherish every minute of our own. All of us will carry pieces of Frances Fortner in our hearts forever, and her kind heart and free spirit will live on in these halls long after we leave. She created a lasting legacy at this school and in the JA Chronicle. Franny girl, thank you for being a true inspiration to us all, we will love you always. #Thisisthebeginning

Love,

Anne Marie, Mary Parker, and Lizzy

About the Writers
Anne Marie Lundy, Co-Editor

Senior and assistant editor Anne Marie is a veteran of the JA Chronicle, going on her second year.  Besides being on newspaper, she is class vice president,...

Mary Parker Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Senior and editor in chief Mary Parker is a veteran of the JA Chronicle.  She is also cheer caption and class president. In her free time she enjoys vlogging,...

Lizzy Childress, Staff Writer

Junior Lizzy Childress is veteran of the JA Chronicle, going on her second year, and a member of Accents.  In her spare time, Lizzy enjoys going to Oxford...