JA Chronicle

iPads Pros & Cons

The new iPads have been quite the controversial topic with many who are not fond of the change and a few who support it. We are here to sort out the pros and cons of these new pieces of technology to help you better form your opinion. In a poll of fifty people only four voted for the iPads, while the rest voted for our beloved laptops.

PROS:
Here are some positive aspects of the iPads. First, the Logitech pen allows students to take notes by writing on the screens of the iPads which is a unique aspect that the laptops lacked. The teachers can monitor what the students are doing on their iPads, which at some times can feel like an invasion of privacy, but overall will benefit the students by encouraging them to stay focused. The iPads also have a front facing camera which is a positive feature of the device. The iPads are lighter in weight than the laptops, making them easier to carry from class to class. The price difference in the iPads and laptops is a huge benefit for JA. The iPads cost around $600 & the laptops were around $830.

CONS:
The iPads are not with out flaws. However, students are not familiar with all of the features of the iPads, so some of these cons may be worked out. First off many people have problems with the small keyboard. Constantly clicking the lock button instead of the delete can get pretty annoying when trying to write an essay. The screen is smaller which can make things harder to read, harder to move stuff around, and makes pages overall much more of a hassle to use. Several people’s iPad screens have received cracks despite the bulky case. The computers, on the other hand, were much more durable. The logitech pen, while very cool, constantly dies and cannot be used while charging.

About the Writers
Zoe Ladner, Staff Writer

Zoe Ladner is a sophomore on the staff. Apart from newspaper, she is a member of the Accents, and she is in the high school showchoir, Encore. In her free...

Garner Hixon, Staff Writer

Sophmore Garner Hixon is a new addition to the JA Chronicle, and on the varsity tennis team.  In his spare time he enjoys to hang out with friends and...