JA Chronicle

Honor Code

Lauren Anne Smith and Garner Hixon

“On my honor, I have neither given nor received unauthorized help on this work” is a phrase that will be heard through the halls and    classrooms at Jackson Academy.  Mr.  Milne brings  years of knowledge and experience during his first full year of being the Head of Jackson  Academy, and one of the most important elements he helped implement is  the honor code.  At Mr. Milne’s former school, they had an honor code and it was established into the history of the school, it became a tradition among the students they carried through graduation, and that’s what he intends for JA.  He hopes the honor code will become a second nature for students instead of it being a rule to follow.  Mr. Milne also explained the importance of student involvement in this decision, which is why they had a committee of student and faculty supporting this, leading up to students voting for the honor system.  Before the honor council was official, there was a total of fifty eight applications from students, which proves how much they wanted be involved.  Honor council is a combination of students from grades 9th through 12th and is supervised by Mr. Sumrall.  He explained how the honor council benefits JA by “giving individuals honor by doing the right thing”, and to guide others.  Avery Hederman is the Chairperson and Webb is the Co-Chairperson of honor council, and  told us why they chose to be on the honor council.  Avery said, “After working on the committee to put it together she saw that the honor council would be used to make the school a better place, and I wanted to help.”  Webb Strickland’s response was, “I joined the honor council because I believe integrity and honesty are the two best things that every student needs to learn.  I just think it’ll really benefit JA and make it a better place.”  With all the support and student ties to the honor code, it clearly seems that this will be established into Jackson Academy tradition and history.

About the Writers
Lauren Anne Smith, Staff Writer

Sophmore Lauren Anne Smith is a new addition to the JA Chronicle. Besides contributing to the newspaper, she also is on the cross country and track team....

Garner Hixon, Staff Writer

Sophmore Garner Hixon is a new addition to the JA Chronicle, and on the varsity tennis team.  In his spare time he enjoys to hang out with friends and...