JA Chronicle

Seatbelt Save

Seatbelts Save
By Mary Lindley Tharp and Lizzy Childress
“As I saw the glass flying around me and as my body was being ejected from the inside of my car, I then realized I was not wearing my seatbelt and that my life was probably about to end.” These were the thoughts of Jackson Academy teacher Jay Levy as he was involved in a life changing automobile accident eight years ago. Mr. Levy was a 19 year old sophomore at Ole Miss when he was involved in his accident. He was called in to his job at the local Sonic Drive In in Oxford, where he was needed urgently. On his way to work, Mr. Levy lost control of his car on Highway 6 while texting,
speeding, and not wearing his seatbelt. His car flipped multiple times, hurling him out of the sunroof of his car. He was emergency airlifted to Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, where he underwent multiple surgeries for a broken spinal cord, arm, and a fractured neck. After several months of hospital treatment, he spent the next few months in a rehabilitation clinic learning how to live life in a wheelchair.
According to Teen Safe’s 2018 statistics, 11 teens die everyday as a result of texting and driving in the United States and about 25% of teenage automobile accidents involve underage drinking! The next time you send that text to bae while driving or think you are “fine” after a night of drinking, think about what could happen if your were to wreck and know that it could affect not only you, but others on the road. The
little things like forgetting to buckle up or just sending that one text could change your life and others’ lives forever.
As the sponsor of Jackson Academy’s chapter of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) Club, Mr. Levy uses his story to encourage his students to make wise decisions in their everyday lives. “For the rest of my life I have to wonder what my life would have been like if I would have worn a seatbelt or if I would have listened to others who told me not to text while driving or not to speed.” Mr. Levy and the rest of the SADD club want to make a positive impact upon JA students by bringing awareness to problems that teens face everyday and try to change the bad habits that teens tend to commit like not wearing their seatbelt. The SADD club’s mission is to empower young people to successfully confront the risks and pressures that challenge them throughout their daily lives. Join the club and prevent destructive decisions!