JA Chronicle

All Ears, Alexa

Everyone’s worse fear has come true; the government is listening in on our conversations through technology.  As crazy as it sounds, it’s real.  Amazon is under fire for their home device, Alexa has been eavesdropping on personal discussions, which is an invasion of privacy.  Hearing this news, some consumers have ditched Alexa, while others keep using it.  We’re here to give you the inside scoop on both sides of this conspiracy theory.

Pros: “Hey, Alexa what’s the weather like today,” you might say. Alexa lets you be hands free as she does daily task for you. They are currently being sold anywhere from $49.99-$99.99 depending on the size you purchase. Some of Alexa’s features are alarms and timers, calling and messaging, Bluetooth voice control, and even features everyone’s favorite music app Spotify. It also provides daily news and articles to keep you up-to-date with current events. Students, Alexa can even do your math homework!  Alexas are today’s smart speaker.

Cons: Alexa is guilty of recording conversations and then recommending what you should buy from Amazon based off your discussion, which is a HUGE invasion of privacy.  This concern has gone far enough to worry consumers that their information will be given to the government.  Besides Alexa’s lack of valuing privacy, it also promotes laziness as people can set reminders, and ask questions without lifting a finger.  With this becoming an issue it also dulls a person’s curiosity because of how easy it is to access information.